Updated Jul 28, 2015Chatelaine
- COMBINE apples with cider and cinnamon sticks in a large wide pot and set over high. Boil, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 35 to 40 min.
- REDUCE heat to medium-low. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks. Purée apples in saucepan, using an immersion blender, until smooth. Stir in brown sugar.
- SIMMER, partially covered, stirring often, until mixture is very thick, about 1 hour and 30 min. Mixture may splatter while stirring.
- FILL a canner with water, leaving a 2-in. headspace. Boil over high.
- LADLE apple butter into hot, clean Mason jars, leaving a 1/4-in. headspace at the top of each jar. Stir each jar with a non-metallic utensil to remove air bubbles. Wipe rims clean with damp paper towel, then cover with lids. Close with screw band.
- ADD jars to boiling water in canner, ensuring that they are covered by at least 2-in. of water. Bring to a rolling boil, then process, covered, for 20 min. Turn off heat, remove canner lid and let stand, 5 min. Remove jars and cool. Check for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when centre is pressed. If they do, store in the fridge. Processed jars keep well up at room temperature for up to 1 year.
Kitchen Tip: Wear an oven mitt while stirring apple butter to protect against splatters.