Saturday Dinette’s Gluten- Free Buckwheat Pancakes with Warm Maple ButterBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
This pancake recipe from chef Suzanne Barr, former owner of Saturday Dinette in Toronto, is a filling and delicious gluten-free pancake alternative.
Warm Maple Butter
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 2 cups cold unsalted butter , cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2.5 cups 3.25% milk
- 1.25 cups sour cream
- Maple Butter: Pour maple syrup into a small saucepan set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat before it boils over. Whisking vigorously, gradually add cold butter and 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt. Mixture will begin to thicken when all the butter is added. Set aside.
- Pancakes: Sift flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1 tbsp kosher salt into a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Stir eggs, milk and sour cream in a medium bowl un- til combined. Using a spatula, gradually stir egg mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 2 tbsp batter to pan. Cook until bottom is golden-brown, and then flip and repeat. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes with Warm Maple Butter. Leftover butter can be refrigerated for 1 week.