Bake-ahead French toast loafBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 5 min
Hiking. Kayaking. Chilling on a floatie. No matter what's on the camping itinerary, it's got to start with a feast around the firepit. This recipe is a cinch to prepare.
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup 35% cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 loaf of French bread , about 600 g
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- maple syrup
- assorted nuts and berries , for garnish
- POSITION rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 375F. Line the bottom of a 9 × 13-in. baking dish with parchment. Whisk eggs with cream, milk, 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- CUT loaf into 1-in. slices, stopping 1 in. from the bottom so the loaf stays intact. Arrange loaf in prepared pan. Gradually pour egg mixture between slices, opening up loaf to let mixture soak in evenly. Flip loaf over and let stand for 15 min. Flip loaf back, cut-side up, and drizzle butter overtop. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- BAKE in bottom third of oven until golden brown, 35 to 40 min. Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit or nuts.
- Camp prep tip: Cool baked loaf. Double-wrap with foil and store in a resealable bag. Refrigerate until ready to take to camp. Store in a cooler. Reheat foil-wrapped loaf over medium heat, turning often, until warmed through, 15 to 25 min.
How to make scones
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 76 g,
- 23 g,
- 3 g,
- 769 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B12