Plant-Based Banana BreadBy Chatelaine
Our plant-based banana bread recipe uses flax meal as an egg replacer, and is as impressive as the classic version.
- 2 tbsp ground flax meal
- 2/3 cup water , at room temperature
- 3 very ripe large bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ripe banana , halved lengthwise (optional)
- POSITION rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 350F. Lightly oil or spray a 9×5-in. loaf pan. Stir flax meal with water in a large bowl. Mash bananas in a large measuring cup (it should measure about 1 1⁄4 cups). Stir flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- ADD coconut oil, sugar and vanilla to flax mixture. Beat, using an electric mixer on medium, until fluffy, 1 to 2 min. Beat in bananas until just combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture just until combined. Do not overmix. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Smooth top. If desired, arrange halved bananas, cut-side up, on top of batter.
- BAKE until a knife or a skewer inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean, 40 to 50 min. Move pan to a rack to cool for 10 min. Run a knife around inside of pan to loosen loaf. Carefully turn out loaf, then turn top-side up on a rack. If storing, let cool completely, cover, and store at room temperature for up
to 3 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 54 g,
- 15 g,
- 2 g,
- 384 mg.