Updated Apr 12, 2017Chatelaine
PC Indian basmati rice, rinsed
onion, finely chopped
vine-ripened tomato, chopped
PC Black Label garam masala
dried green lentils, rinsed
PC Madras Sauce
packed baby spinach
chopped fresh cilantro
1 450-g pkg
frozen PC Butter Puff Pastry, thawed
Plain Greek yogurt
- COMBINE rice and 1/2 cup cold water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 15 min. Let stand for 5 min, then fluff with fork.
- HEAT oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring, until very soft, 6 min. Stir in tomato, garam masala and salt and cook for 1 min.
- STIR in lentils and 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 min.
- STIR in rice, Madras sauce, spinach, cilantro and peas. Cook, stirring, 2 min. Let cool. Transfer to a shallow bowl and refrigerate until chilled, 35 min.
- PREHEAT oven to 425F and spray a 12-cup muffin pan. Cut pastry sheets into 6 rectangles. Press each rectangle into a muffin cup, then fill each with 1/3 cup of the lentil mixture. Pull corners together, gently pinching and twisting to seal.
- BAKE until puffed and golden, 17 to 20 min. Serve topped with a dollop each of yogurt and mango chutney.
NutritionCalories 260, Protein 7 g, Carbohydrates 26 g, Fat 14 g, Fibre 4 g, Sodium 383 mg. Excellent source of folate
Chatelaine Presents: Madras Lentil Tourtière Cups