Madras lentil tourtière cups
* PLUS 35 min chilling time
Photo, Andrew Grinton.
We've partnered with President's Choice to give traditional Canadian recipes a modern makeover.
PC Indian basmati
, finely chopped
PC Black Label
1 450-g pkg
frozen PC Butter
- COMBINE rice and 1/2 cup cold water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 15 min. Let stand for 5 min, then fluff with fork.
- HEAT oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring, until very soft, 6 min. Stir in tomato, garam masala and salt and cook for 1 min.
- STIR in lentils and 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 min.
- STIR in rice, Madras sauce, spinach, cilantro and peas. Cook, stirring, 2 min. Let cool. Transfer to a shallow bowl and refrigerate until chilled, 35 min.
- PREHEAT oven to 425F and spray a 12-cup muffin pan. Cut pastry sheets into 6 rectangles. Press each rectangle into a muffin cup, then fill each with 1/3 cup of the lentil mixture. Pull corners together, gently pinching and twisting to seal.
- BAKE until puffed and golden, 17 to 20 min. Serve topped with a dollop each of yogurt and mango chutney.
Chatelaine Presents: Madras Lentil Tourtière Cups
Nutrition (per tart)
- 7 g,
- 26 g,
- 14 g,
- 4 g,
- 383 mg.
- Excellent source of