Japanese fried chicken bites (Karaage)By Chatelaine
These bite-sized snacks are perfect for New Year's entertaining or a post-holiday recess.
- 500 g skinless, boneless chicken thighs , cut into 2-in. pieces
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp sake , or dry sherry
- 2 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- oil , for deep frying
- 1/4 cup potato starch , (or cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- flaked sea salt , (optional)
- 1/3 cup Kewpie or plain mayonnaise , (optional)
- 1 lemon , cut into wedges
- STIR chicken, garlic, ginger, sake, soy, sesame oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Cover, then refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- POUR enough oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot to reach 2-in up the side. Heat over medium-high until deep-fry thermometer reaches 350F, then adjust heat to maintain temperature. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet and set aside.
- WHISK potato starch and flour in a bowl. Add chicken mixture and toss until coated. Fry in batches, 5 to 6 pieces at a time, and cook until chicken is dark golden, about 4 min. Drain on rack and sprinkle with sea salt. Repeat with remaining chicken. Serve with Kewpie mayo and lemon wedges. Kitchen Tip: Try our Miso-Mayo: Whisk ⅓ cup mayo and ½ tsp each miso paste and sesame oil in a bowl. Sprinkle with finely chopped green onion and black sesame seeds.
Mastering the basics: kung pao chicken
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 13 g,
- 17 g,
- 459 mg.