1. When hanging a picture above a piece of furniture, the frame should not be wider than the furniture. If the frame is narrower, it should be at least half the length of the furniture.
2. Accompany a narrower frame with smaller pieces of artwork so it is centered above the furniture.
3. Artwork should be spaced no further than 8 inches apart and no closer than 3 inches.
4. Don’t hang a picture too far from the furniture below it or else it will no longer relate. Aim for no more than 6-10 inches away.
5. If you are hanging a picture above a table that will have items on it, such as a small sculpture or vase, make sure that the picture will not be blocked completely by these items. A little bit is fine, but you don’t want to overcrowd the area.
6. When hanging multiple pictures make sure the frames either coordinate or complement each other. A simple black frame will look out of place next to a chunky ornate gold frame.
7. Hang artwork of similar styles & coloring together.
8. Smaller pictures look best when hung in a group, how you arrange them is up to you. Hang same-sized pictures in an ordered layout or mix them around with other artwork of different sizes.
9. Heavier pieces of artwork should be hung below lighter pieces, whether it’s heavy in size, weight or color.
10. When it doubt, cut paper to the sizes of your artwork and tape it to the wall to see what it would look like before you put holes in the wall.
For more home improvement articles, visit homerenovationguide.com.