Greenery is making a comeback in a stylish and modern way! Update the look of your plants by changing up the pots. Find shapely ceramic containers, woven baskets or wood-panelled boxes to show off your pretty greens. Simply place the plant’s plastic pot into these vessels for a clean and tidy look. The key to keeping your indoor plants alive and healthy is knowing the amount of light each room receives and selecting your plants accordingly. Added bonus: In addition to looking good, plants have been found to clean indoor air by removing dangerous volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs are found in common household products like cleaning fluids, aerosol cans, carpet glue and even printer ink. In fact, pollution indoors can be up to 10 times higher than outdoor air pollution. Looking to add a little sculptural greenery to your home? Begin with these low-maintenance plants and give your green thumb a test run.
1. ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas Zamiifolia) A good choice for low-light areas. Its thick succulent leaves make it drought tolerant.
2. Snake Plant (Sanseveria) Perfect for bright light. It’s drought tolerant and rarely requires repotting.
3. Pothos Plant (Epiremnum) A great starter plant that makes the perfect housewarming gift. It is arguably the easiest houseplant to grow and is good for the forgetful waterer.
4. Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea Recurvata) Not a true palm, but will give your home a tropical feel. Needs bright light and little water!
5. Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema) Thrives in low light and grows up to three feet tall.
6. Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra) Ideal for open concept homes or condos with lots of light (south- or west-facing windows).