You don’t have to undergo a whole renovation to update your space. Design expert and host of Open House Overhaul Samantha Pynn explains seven small, low-cost cosmetic changes that will instantly transform your family room, and add major value if you’re looking to sell.
1. Give the room a fresh coat of paint. Try a pale pastel for a modern look.
2. Update your lighting. Switch out old, outdated lamps for something more contemporary.
3. Put up some curtains. Take them right to the ceiling to make the room look bigger.
4. Add pattern with throw pillows. Dress up neutral-coloured sofas with playful cushions.
5. Reupholster a chair or ottoman. No need to go out and buy new furniture!
6. Throw down an area rug to bring the room together.
7. Hang some art to make your room feel finished. Tip: hang with the centre of the artwork at about 57 inches high.
Chatelaine design expert Samantha Pynn is back with a brand new TV show, Open House Overhaul, Mondays at 10e/p on HGTV. Follow Samantha as she transforms unsightly open houses into real estate gems.