Give a handcrafted gift this Hanukkah. Our star garland is made from modelling clay, finished with gold leaf and strung with suede cord. A soft, foldable leather clutch protects the strand for years to come. Follow these steps to make your own festive decoration.
THE LEATHER POUCH
What you need:
- Suede cord
- Low-tack tape like washi or painter’s
- Sewing machine
- Leather needle
- Binder clips
- Round object like large washer or glass
- Tailor’s chalk
- To begin, measure and cut out a rectangle of leather 9 3/4-in. x 8 5/8-in.
- To attach the suede binding cord, find the centre of one of the short sides of the leather cutout. Place cord on top of leather so that centre of cord and centre of leather are aligned. Use tape to secure cord to leather.
- Using a sewing machine fitted with a leather needle, stitch across cord a few times to attach to leather. Trim threads.
- Take short end of leather cutout without attached cord and fold about 4 1/2 in. Secure the sides with binder clips, ensuring that edges are even.
- Start sewing at cut end by backstitching a few stitches. Continue sewing until you reach 1/4 in. away from folded bottom edge. Backstitch to secure stitches. Trim threads.
- Repeat on other side.
- If you would like to round the corner of the pouch flap, trace a round object with chalk and cut along line.
What you need:
- Air-dry clay
- Rolling pin
- Star cookie cutter
- Drinking straw
- Gold leaf size (adhesive)
- Glue brush
- Gold leaf
- Soft brush
- Soft cloth
- Leather lace
- Knead clay until smooth.
- Roll clay out on surface until 1/8 in. thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out 8 stars. Use straw or skewer to cut out 2 holes in each star.
- Allow stars to dry for 24 hours on a smooth, flat surface. Flip and gently flatten stars occasionally to ensure they dry as flat as possible.
- Once dry, apply size to one side of stars. As size dries, it becomes tacky, allowing the gold leaf to adhere to the surface. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to determine the appropriate drying time and method to test tackiness.
- Apply leaf to surface and brush gently with soft brush. Remove any leaf that doesn’t adhere to the surface.
- Burnish with a soft cloth.
- Thread lace through holes.