Supplementing with vitamins around the holidays may not be a bad idea, depending on your nutritional needs. Holiday celebrations are often associated with cocktails and indulgences. Or, you may simply be looking to boost your immune system and keep your body healthy. Here are my five go-to supplements that, along with a balanced diet and proper exercise, can keep you healthy all winter long:
1. A multivitamin: Help maintain a healthy immune system and alleviate symptoms of stress, depression and anxiety.
2. Vitamin D3: Helps fight depression, boosts energy and maintains healthy bones.
3. Vitamin C to help boost up your immune system.
4. Vitamin B complex: Alcohol consumption over the holidays can cause dehydration and water-soluble vitamins, like vitamin B, can diminish. A vitamin-B complex includes B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), folic acid, B6 and B12, which help to alleviate hangovers. B12, also known as cobalamin, is also important in the proper function of your brain and nervous system. B vitamins are also important in promoting cell production, energy, stress and metabolism.
5. Omega-3: Essential fatty acids help protect everything from your brain, to your heart, to your skin. They’ve also shown some evidence of helping people fight the post-holiday blues.
Always check with a pharmacist to ensure a supplement or product is right for you. Your pharmacist can help you with proper dosages and identify any potential contraindications or interactions especially if you are on any medications. For more try out the new Life Brand vitamin finder here.