Outsmart menopause belly
Who: Sue Marteleira, 50
She lost: 23 pounds (as of publish date this number is now more than 30 pounds!)
Before: Chatelaine's own Sue Marteleira turned the countdown to her 50th birthday into a weight-loss incentive.
The goal: Six months before her 50th birthday, Sue decided to focus on what she really wanted: more energy, an hourglass figure and control over her menopause symptoms. With her twin daughters grown and out of the house, Sue says, "I felt this was my time." And that became her weight-loss mantra. "Becoming the me I always wanted to be was a personal goal I wasn't willing to fail at."
The game plan: Sue signed up for a customized program that included a doctor, a naturopath and a life coach to reach her weight and menopause-management goals. Daily early-morning workouts (45 minutes) were essential for the once exercise-averse Sue to wake up her metabolism. For extra support, she built a community with gym regulars.
The challenge: She's still working on drinking more water throughout the day and getting more than her usual four to five hours of zees.
The result: "As I got stronger and more confident, I became kinder to myself." Sue says she walks taller now and takes pride in her appearance. She's ditched her nightly microwave meals, too.
1. New pyjamas: "I sleep in my workout wear so I can roll out of bed and hit the gym."
2. Super seeds: "Gluten-free, high-fibre chia seeds mixed into Greek yogurt make such a satisfying snack."
3. Smart prep: "I cook for the week every Sunday afternoon, preparing lentils, quinoa, edamame beans and grilled vegetables."
4. Barry Manilow: "Nothing powers me through a workout like the feel-good Latin beats of 'Copacobana.'"
5. Core power: "My ab exercises have also given me new-found inner strength."
Chatelaine health adviser Dr. Elaine Chin takes the guesswork out of weight loss with her customized approach. These are her weight-management tips for every decade.
30s: Prioritize healthy eating and regular exercise (especially if you didn't in your 20s). Strength train for strong bones.
40s: Outsmart hormonal fluctuations by reducing animal proteins and increasing vegetarian ones. Dining out? Choose wine or the breadbasket. Not both.
50s and beyond: Address hormonal changes in holistic ways, and you'll naturally manage your weight, too.
For more from Chin on how to take charge of life's changes and keep weight off for good, click here.