This baby gets around. Posted to the Facebook pages of many of my friends, coming across my Twitter stream, landing in my in-box as an attachment, I couldn’t escape eight-month-old Micah. While I ignored him at first, thinking the video probably wasn’t as funny as everyone thought, I caved on the weekend and pressed play. And laughed. As in clap-my-hand-over-my-mouth-giggle while sitting outside my daughter’s dance class. Micah was such a welcome antidote to the Charlie Sheen crazy that was also invading my screen.And when we got home, I fired up the video for the family, to which we all started to giggle around our dining room table as we watched that paper rip.
It got me wondering and thinking back to some of my favourite videos that are worth a good morning smile — or even laugh. And so, here is a list of seven YouTube videos that I dare you not to giggle over. Got any to add? Send them our way in the comments!
1. Baby laughing hysterically at ripping paper: How infectious is baby Micah’s side-splitting laugh? It makes me want to dump a whole pile of paper in front of him and let him go to town. Add to the fact that it seems Micah is ripping up dad’s job rejection letter, how sweet it is to listen to his hysterical giggles.
2. It Gets Better: Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles performs “True Colors”: I’m a fan of the It Gets Better project in general, but this one is such a moving video. The happiness comes from the earnestness at which the choir is singing, and how optimistic and happy they — and later their friends and family — look while performing this Cyndi Lauper song.
3. Funny Grandpa dancing to techno: Is it that the kids in the video are so indifferent to Grandpa’s smooth moves? Is it that grandpa can seriously get down? For me, it’s the kicking off of his slippers mid-dance and leg swing over his grandson that makes me laugh.
4. OK Go — “This Too Shall Pass”: Known for their unique videos, there are many, many favourite moments in this intricately designed OK Go video set-up. My personal smile moments are the water glasses, the vaulting mannequin and the little hat tip to one of their other amazing videos. And at the end, you cheer right along with the crew that they did it!
5. LIPDUB — “I Gotta Feeling”: Really, this just makes me want to go back to university and try something like this. They’re so enthusiastic and are just having so much fun with it — much better than the original Black Eyed Peas video. Add to my being impressed…it’s all one shot!
6. Charlie bit my finger: A YouTube classic, there’s so much to love about this video. Notably, how the older brother’s face turns when he realizes what his brother doing to Charlie’s sweet giggle at the end over biting big bro’s finger.
7. Phil dancing on the subway!: This one just landed on my lap yesterday. And while he’s known for his improv dance-offs around Toronto, I particularly love this one — just so happy and gets me moving too. Plus he does what I’ve always wanted to do on those subway poles!