Not So Bad After All!

I’m happy to report that I survived the bronchoscopy & the lavage – and I don’t think I’ll actually need years of therapy to move on from the experience!  The psyche-out proved to be worse than the reality. And while the experience was not pleasant, neither was it the traumatizing torture I had anticipated. This is in no small part attributable to Dr. Lungs’ incredible capacity to communicate with patients in a manner that is calming, informative, human and respectful all at once.  The guy has a gift, I’m telling you.  Imagine explaining to a patient that you are going to make them gargle something that tastes like crazy glue, fasten a muzzle-like contraption around their mouth, stick tubes down their throat, poke around in the lungs a bit and then wash them out with “about half a pop can’s worth” of saline – and instead of having the woman run screaming from the room, she becomes more confident, calmer, less anxious.  Seriously.  Even throughout my cross-examination he remained personable, and cool as a cucumber:   “Am I going to feel like I’m drowning?” “No.” “But aren’t my lungs sort of designed to reject water?” “Yes; you might cough a little, but you probably won’t feel it.” “Am I going to gag on the tube thingy?” “No, the freezing and the sedative will take care of that.” “Can I please be heavily sedated?” “We’ll make sure you are comfortable.” “Can you make sure I’m a vegetable?” “Don’t worry, we we’ll make sure you don’t feel any discomfort or anxiety during the procedure.” “Now, that’s what I’m talkin’ about.”   Between him, the lovely nurses and the fabulous drug cocktail with which I was sedated (“We’re going to give you your martini now,” said the nice nurse), it was completely bearable.  Because I was completely stoned. I already had a cold and a cough going into it, and was told that might make the recovery slightly worse, but apart from post-procedure coughing I feel fine.  I mean, I was doped up to the nines and had to sign a waiver saying I wouldn’t make any legal or financial decisions today (wait… is signing a waiver a legal decision?) so of course I slept deeply and magnificently all afternoon, and now I feel fine.  Cough-cough-coughy and tired but fine. And now that it’s all just a slightly blurry memory, we have nothing to do but wait to see what the good doctor was able to discover with his lung-spelunking activities.  He assured me that it isn’t emphysema, and I’m still hanging on to his previous “99.9%” assurance that it isn’t lung cancer, so I can at least stop obsessing about those two horrors and focus on hoping for good news.