“My team at the restaurant will laugh when they see this one! I always pull long faces when quinoa is mentioned, an unconscious reaction that probably dates back to some less than great meal in the 90s. But actually I like quinoa. I like it even more combined with cashews and spice-roasted butternut squash, crisp apples, pickled beets and beautifully-aged Thunder Oak Gouda. The flavours and textures are rich and varied. This dish is colourful, warm and just plain delicious.” -Lynn Crawford
1 cup (250 mL) diced butternut squash
⅓ cup (75 mL) whole cashews
½ tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes
1 red apple, cut in wedges
2 green onions, thinly sliced
½ cup (125 mL) Brown Derby Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Salt and pepper
4 cups (1 L) cooked red quinoa, cooled
½ cup (125 mL) pickled beets, cut in wedges
½ cup (125 mL) shaved Thunder Oak Gouda cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss squash with cashews and red pepper flakes. Spread in a single layer. Roast until squash is golden brown and fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, gently toss together squash, cashews, apple, and green onions. Add dressing and toss until salad is well coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Mound quinoa onto a platter, spoon over squash mixture, and top with beets and cheese. Serve immediately.
Brown derby vinaigrette recipe
½ cup (125 mL) red wine vinegar
2 tsp (10 mL) balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
Juice of 1 lemon
1⅓ cups (325 mL) canola oil
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and lemon juice until well combined. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified.
2. Transfer vinaigrette to a container, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Makes about 2 cups (500 mL). Click here for Lynn’s Everything Green Salad recipe.
From At Home with Lynn Crawford by Lynn Crawford. Copyright Lynn Crawford, 2013. Reprinted by permission of Penguin Group (Canada), a Division of Pearson Canada Inc. To pre-order a copy of At Home with LynnCrawford, visit Chapters or Amazon.