Protein first thing in the morning helps to stimulate the metabolism for increased fat burning all day. These muffins freeze very well and you can substitute seasonal berries in for the cranberries whenever need be. The recipe is dairy-free, easy-to-make, gluten- and wheat-free, low glycemic and has no added refined sugar without sacrificing taste. It’s decadent enough to enjoy with your morning coffee or tea and great to throw in your bag as you run out the door.
3 cups of ground almonds
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp gluten free baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen cranberries
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup honey
3 whole eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 160C or 325F
2. Line a muffin tin with large baking cups
3. Combine the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl
4. Combine the cranberries, vanilla, honey and eggs in another bowl
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well
6. Evenly fill each baking cup with the batter (fill to top of cup, muffin only rises about 1 to 1 1/2 centimetres beyond cup)
7. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
Saturated fat 3.1 g
Cholesterol 60.51 mg
Carbs 21 g
Fibre 3.75 g
Protein 10 g
Sugar 16 g
This recipe was taken from Live The Smart Way a gluten-free and wheat-free cookbook from Kathy Smart, North America’s gluten-free expert and National Health Activist of Canada. Get more from Kathy Smart.
Get Chatelaine in your inbox!
Our very best stories, recipes, style and shopping tips, horoscopes and special offers. Delivered every weekday morning.