Garlic steamed artichokes
The garlic will scent the artichokes and add extra flavour. Classically, artichokes are served with melted butter. Try this heart-healthy dipping sauce as a replacement and be happily surprised that you don’t miss the saturated fat. Olive oil is rich in omega-9 fats, which may help balance cholesterol.
4 globe artichokes
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2-3 garlic cloves
Sea salt for cooking water
1. Cut off some of the stem and tips of the artichokes.
2. In a pot, bring salted water (enough to cover) to a boil and add articokes.
3. Add lemon juice and whole garlic cloves to water, and simmer artichokes for 15 minutes, or until tender (the older the artichoke, the longer it may take to cook).
4. Test to see if the artichokes are cooked by pulling off a leaf; it should pull away easily.
5. Drain well and squeeze dry gently in a clean towel.
6. Enjoy pulling off the leaves one at a time and dip them in the sauce. Remove chokes (hairy centre) and discard. Marinate the hearts in the rest of sauce or add to your next salad.
Heart-healthy dipping sauce
1/3 cup (85 ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp apple juice
1 tsp honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp sea salt
Add all ingredients to a blender and whip until emulsified.
Makes 4 servings