Get involved with five great causes to support Canada’s vulnerable children and families:
1. Last year, Kids Help Phone helped Canadian kids more than 2.2 million times on the phone and online. Support over 10,000 volunteers by making a donation or become a youth volunteer with your local chapter.
2. A recent report on cyber bullying found that almost one in five Canadian students have been bullied online in the past three months. To protect your children, plan a family online agreement with schedules and rules for web surfing – for an example of a plan visit media-awareness.ca. Media Awareness Network is a Canadian non-profit specializing in media literacy.
3. Safe Kids Canada is a national organization raising awareness and reducing the incidence of preventable childhood injuries – the leading cause of death and disability for Canadian youth. Take the home product safety quiz online to keep your kids out of harm’s way. Or advocate to prevent childhood injuries.
4. The Canadian Centre for Child Protection is a non-profit dedicated to the safety of children. Children account for 61% of all victims of sexual assault reported to the police and 21% of all victims of physical assault. Download the parent guide to learn more about the signs of abuse and how to prevent it.
5. One in six Canadian children is poor and there are about 760,000 low-income mothers and children in Canada. Send a message to the prime minister through Make Poverty History. Goals include affordable housing and child care as well as increasing the child tax benefit to help low-income families.