Triple ginger pear cake
1 lb (500g) ripe Bartlet pears, peeled, cored, quartered (3 small)
1 ½ cups (375ml) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
¼ tsp (1ml) baking soda
½ tsp (2ml) Kosher salt
1 tbsp (15ml)ground ginger
½ tsp (2ml) cinnamon
¼ tsp (1ml) ground nutmeg
pinch ground cloves
2 large eggs
½ cup (125ml) packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup (8-ml) canola oil
¾ cup (175ml) fancy molasses
1 tbsp (15ml) grated ginger
¼ cup (60ml) chopped candied ginger
1. Preheat oven to 400 F (205C).
2. Place pears in a single layer in a glass pie plate or similar dish and roast for 35-40 minutes, turning once, or until pears are soft and slightly golden around the edges. Cool, then coarsely mash with a fork. You should have about 1 cup (250ml). Set aside.
3. Turn oven down to 350 F (180C). Grease a 9 inch (23cm) round baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a bowl and stir with a fork until uniform. Reserve.
5. Combine eggs and sugar in a separate bowl and whisk until well combined. Add oil and whisk until uniform. Whisk in molasses and grated ginger.
6. Add flour mixture to molasses mixture one third at a time and stir until uniform. Stir in mashed pears. Scrape batter into prepared pan and sprinkle top with candied ginger. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool cake for 10 minutes then turn out on a rack and remove parchment paper to cool completely.