Workout: Day 2
Did you buy your exercise ball yet? Don’t delay because we’re going to
be using it in a few days. And I hope yesterday’s walk went well,
because there’s going to be more of that too.
Today we’re going to work on kinesthetic awareness
(a sense of how your body moves in space and time). If you feel
uncoordinated getting a little practice in before launching into a new
program is a good thing. Conversely, if you’re as graceful as a ballet dancer, there’s still some fun to be had.
What you’ll need: Lots of space on a flat surface, and a couple of
equally-weighted cans of food. Don’t bring in the cans of food yet, but
stand on a flat surface. Make sure there’s nothing around for you to
crash into. Close your eyes and stand for about 30 seconds. If you don’t
fall over, that’s awesome. Here are ways to progress; keeping eyes
closed the entire time:
1. Stand on one foot and hold for 30 seconds. Alternate.
2. Squat up and down with both legs planted.
3. Stand on one foot and do moderate squats (careful!). Alternate.
4. Bring in the soup cans. Hold them at your sides and repeatedly
raise them until arms are parallel to the floor and your body is shaped
like a “T.” Keep those eyes closed.
5. Do the same as above, but raise arms out in front of you.
6. Try the above two motions on one foot (again, eyes closed).
If you can’t do all that, no problem. It gives you an idea of your
capabilities and where you need to improve. Now go for another walk
because they’re awesome for your health and a great place to start your routine. Don’t forget to monitor your progress.
Click to the next page for your Day 2 meal plan.