I do enjoy quotes. You know, those little quips of encouragement on the sides of your coffee mugs or Starbucks cups or daily rip calendars. And while I don’t generally browse the self-help aisle of the bookstore, I do find myself smiling when I see inspirational quotes and sayings. Even…sigh…the cheesy ones.
As it happens, on my Twitter feed, I tend to come across many said quotes, especially about happiness of course. Many I retweet, others leave me thinking, some are just too silly to take seriously. That said, I do always find them interesting to read and find out: what makes people happy. What is happiness to them? Where do they find their bite-sized inspirations of happiness?
In wondering this, I thought I’d do a search via Twitter to find out a little more about what makes people happy. And so, a part tip of the hat to one of TV’s happiness gurus, Miss Oprah Winfrey, who was in Toronto this week on her LifeClass tour, here’s what some of you had to say about happiness.
1. The happiness you feel is in direct proportion to the love you are able to give.–@OprahQuote
2. Happiness is the worst kind of drug. Once you take a hit, you would do anything to feel that rush of high again.–@SayingsForGirls
3. There’s a certain happiness in being silly and ridiculous.–@Blackout_Barbie
4. Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.–@AgniswarBanerje
5. Struggles make you stronger, changes make you wise, and happiness has its own way of taking its sweet time.–@SimpleLoveTweet
6. Grudges are a waste of perfect happiness. Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can’t change.–@RealTalk
7. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that some people only enter your life as a temporary happiness.–@RealPsychology
8. There is only one happiness in life: to love and be loved.–@LostWords
9. Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn’t change anything. It messes with your mind and steals your happiness.–@iluvinspiration
10. Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.–@beedaymeee
11. To the right, books. To the left, a teacup. There’s no greater happiness than this.–@vivekisms
12. Don’t place happiness in someone else’s hands because once they’re gone, so is your happiness.–@TheLeARobinson
13. You can’t buy happiness but you can buy ice cream. And that’s kind of the same thing.–@damnitstrue
Want more happiness news? Follow me on Twitter @AstridVanDenB