The Do Diet is a monthly Chatelaine feature inspired by the frustration of living in a world of diet don’ts. Instead, the Do Diet is filled with easy dos to benefit your overall health and get you on the right track.
Here are ten important things we learned to “do” over the past year.
1. Eat breakfast to lose weight. A healthy start to the day can also lower your risk of heart disease and help you to perform better at work. Here are seven breakfast tips and one amazing breakfast sandwich recipe to help you makeover your mornings.
2. What you eat is tied to how well you sleep. Anyone who is deprived of it can attest to how essential sleep is to mental and physical health. Sleep can improve your memory, and a lack of it can sabotage your weight-loss goals. Get our nine eating tips to help you rest up and slim down.
3. Everyone’s diet can benefit from a little spring cleaning (even in December, particularly in December!). Here are seven ways to clean up your kitchen, cleanse and detoxify your body and a healthy roasted halibut recipe.
4. Chicken soup really can heal a cold. In fact, the right diet can help boost your immune system and keep you sniffle-free through flu season. Find out why you should embrace garlic, grapefruit and these other nutrient-rich ideas.
5. Want a gorgeous complexion? Eat carrots. In fact, load up on all the carotenoids —the antioxidant family in carrots, pumpkin, red peppers and kale – if you want glowing skin. And find out what to drink more of and how fish can fight acne.
6. Eggs for dinner is the best way to end a stressful day. If life is hectic and you’re feeling overwhelmed there is no better time to be vigilant with a healthy diet. Eating the wrong foods will only exacerbate the stress on your body. Instead, find out which foods are best to soothe stress and get on track.
7. You can have your cake and eat it too. Nine tips and three desserts to outsmart even the toughest treat season with our guide to satisfying your sweet tooth without sabotaging your waistline.
8. Not all burgers are created equal (hello ground turkey with low-fat cheese, a spoonful of tomato salsa and mashed avocado!). We’ve got eight ways that you can give into your cravings without compromising your health.
9. Top your salad with cherries and fill your omelette with spinach. Certain nutrients are proven even more effective when eaten together. These six dynamic duos can help prevent cardiovascular disease, protect your bones and even lower your risk of cancer.
10. Order curry instead of pizza and keep a stash of sunflower seeds at your desk. Some foods are proven to enhance memory, increase mental sharpness and even help ward off Alzheimer’s. Here are eight nutrition habits to boost your brain power.