To celebrate our 85th Anniversary, our kitchen hit the archives for a taste of the headline-making trends from the past 85 years. Inspired, we whipped, flipped and remixed our faves. For this Then and Now remake, we turned a nouvelle vegetable pâté into a bright, grilled vegetable terrine with chimichurri sauce.
This is an era of fad diets, crash diets, tall food and nouvelle cuisine. Yogurt’s suddenly king, and eggs get a bad rap. Meals are lighter and health is at the forefront, right down to special “dieter dinner parties,” which include the likes of beet salad, salmon with apples and brown rice pilaf.
Grilled vegetable terrine
- 2 red peppers, quartered
- 2 orange peppers, quartered
- 2 yellow peppers, quartered
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8-in. slices lengthwise
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut into 1/8-in. slices lengthwise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 113-g log plain goat cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 large shallot
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium-high.
- BRUSH vegetables with 2 tbsp oil. Oil grill, then barbecue, with lid closed, until peppers are charred and zucchini and eggplant are tender, 6 to 10 min. Cool on a cutting board. Remove skin from peppers. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and season with pepper.
- LINE the bottom and sides of a 8 x 4-in. loaf pan with 2 large overlapping pieces of plastic wrap hanging over sides of pan. Lay half of peppers skin-side down on bottom and up sides of the pan. Crumble a third of cheese over peppers. Season with pepper. Layer zucchini slices over the peppers crosswise. Crumble half of remaining cheese over zucchini. Crumble in remaining cheese. Season with pepper. Layer eggplant slices over peppers. Cover surface with plastic overhang. Put 2 heavy cans in another loaf pan. Set pan over terrine to weigh it down. Refrigerate until set, 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- WHIRL garlic, shallot and jalapeno in a blender or food processor until finely chopped. Add cilantro, parsley, oregano and salt. While whirling, pour 1/3 cup oil and vinegar through spout until puréed. Refrigerate until ready to use. To serve, peel back plastic wrap from terrine. Invert onto a platter, then remove and discard wrap. Cut into 8 slices and drizzle chimichurri sauce on top.