With the heat and humidity, put down your blow dryer and give your tresses a break. Instead go for loose curls with a laid-back, beachy vibe.
Tool: A curling iron with a 1″ barrel curling iron.
Follow these six steps for summer waves:
1. Start with damp hair. Then add some volume mousse throughout – this will help hold the curls.
My pick: L’Oreal Professionnel Techni Art Full Volume Mousse.
2. Let hair air dry for a more beachy vibe or blow it dry for added volume.
3. Separate hair into three sections (bottom, middle and top) and clip the large section from ear to ear up and over for now.
4. Start with the bottom section (below the ears) and work your way up. Take a 1-1/2″ wide strand of hair and spray it with a heat-protective product. Using a 1″ curling iron place it on a 45 degree angle, wrapping the hair around the barrel, holding it in place until the hair is warm, setting the curl.
My pick: L’Oreal Professionnel Constructor.
5. Work on one curl at a time. Continue this process on the balance of the bottom section, moving to the middle section, and finish with the top section.
6. Finish the look with a classic curl or go for a beach-wave vibe.
For a more smooth classic wave: Run an oil such as L’Oreal Professionnel Mythic Oil gently through the curls and then take a natural boar bristle brush and brush waves out.
For a beachy finish: Use L’Oreal Professionnel Architecture and run your fingers through the curls, separating each coil.
Caylee Wasilenko is a hairstylist and winner of Cananda’s Best Hair Talent.