Our panel of beauty experts selected the 100 most memorable products launched over the past year. We hope these choices – edited from thousands – will help you with your beauty purchases. Happy shopping! Plus, we want to know you beauty secrets. Fill in our survey, and you could see your picks in an upcoming issue of Chatelaine.
INNOVATION OF THE YEAR
1.Christian Dior Diorskin Airflash, 50 mL/$50. This spray-on foundation mists skin with just the right amount of coverage. Its micro-pearlized pigments help to reflect light and smooth skin. No sponge required.
2. Cargo ColorCards, set of 28/$28. These single-use eyeshadows employ antioxidants to fight free radicals and come packed like playing cards with application tips.
3. Cover Girl Advanced Radiance Age-Defying Makeup, 30 mL/$14. It boosts skin’s natural brightness and moisture with green tea and vitamin E and doesn’t settle into fine lines.
4. Revlon Age Defying Makeup with Botafirm, 37 mL/$19. Using vitamins and wrinkle-fighting hexapeptide, the creamy texture goes on smooth and camouflages fine lines. Plus, there’s a formula for every skin type.
5. Lancôme Absolue Replenishing Cream Makeup SPF 20, 35 mL/$70. Its rich formula offers medium to full coverage and helps keep drier skin supple and glowing.
6. M.A.C. Blot Powder/Loose, 11 g/$22. A micro-fine jet-milled formula that leaves no powdery finish, it feels weightless as it lifts and disperses skin’s natural oils.
7. YSL Matt and Radiant Pressed Powder, 10 g/ $58. The powder locks in skin’s natural moisture, helping it to look radiant and soft upon application.
8. Maybelline New York Pure Concealer, $9. This super-slim concealer pencil is a lifesaver when you’re on the go. It treats blemishes with salicylic acid, vitamin E and chamomile.
9. DuWop Surface foundation/concealer, $28. This portable tube covers problem spots and is sheer enough to double as foundation.
10. Physicians Formula CoverToxTen 50 Wrinkle Therapy Concealer, $15. Fights wrinkles and camouflages dark circles. Its creamy formula glides easily onto skin.
11. Nars Blush in Madly, $29. A pink powder with just a touch of shimmer, this gorgeous blush enhances a range of complexions.
12. Benefit Dallas Blush, $34. It provides the ideal mix of blush and bronzer in one whimsical package.
13. Laura Mercier Crème Cheek Colour, $30. Delivers a just-from-the-gym glow, and it stays put all day.
14. Rimmel Soft Cream Blush, $6. Leaves a natural-looking cream-to-powder finish, and it’s easy on the wallet.
15. Avon Daring Definition Mousse Mascara, $8. The first-ever mousse texture that lengthens, darkens and separates lashes without clumping.
16. L’Oréal Paris Volume Shocking Mascara, $15. Forget applying fake eyelashes. One brush primes and adds volume to lashes while the other coats them in rich colour.
17. Lancôme Color Design Sensational Effects Eyeshadow, $19. With 38 shades and five finishes (matte, shimmer, metallic, soft sheen and intense), these single shadows use micro-air technology for a clean application.
18. Cover Girl Shadow Squease, $7. A collection of eight wearable, smudge-proof shades that give lids a pretty, shimmery finish.
19. Physicians Formula Eye Definer Felt-Tip Eye Marker, $12. Ideal for creating a strong eye, this retractable eyeliner makes application quick and precise, and its gentle formula allows for easy removal.
20. M.A.C. LiquidLast Liner, $22. Take your pick from 12 amazing shades, such as fuchsia and coco. This formula delivers a line that won’t smudge or run.
21.Maybelline New York Line Stylist, $8. Its soft tip lets you create naturally defined eyes. The budge-proof colour can easily be removed with your daily cleanser.
22. N.Y.C. FlatLiner Eye Pencil, $5. Thanks to vitamin E and shea butter, this eyeliner pencil glides effortlessly onto lids.
23. Clinique Colour Surge Butter Shine Lipstick, $18. The colour and consistency of a traditional lipstick with the shine of a gloss.
24. Clarins Lip Color Tint, $27. A total treat for your pucker – the moisturizing formula of shea butter, vitamin E and micro-pearls helps fill in fine lines.
25. Guerlain Kiss Kiss Lipstick, $31. We loved its long-lasting colour (you can bank on at least five hours of wear).
26. Shiseido The Makeup Shimmering Lipstick, $28. Not for wallflowers, these amazingly rich shades leave lips loaded with shine but will stay put like a long-lasting lipstick.
27. Lise Watier Rouge WOW Fusion Creme Gloss, $18. The unique lipstick-shaped applicator allows you to have more control, and it goes on mess-free.
28. Vichy Oligo 25 Lips, $14. Like a vitamin for your lips, manganese restores blood flow and lips regain their true hue. Plus, there’s no sticky shine.
29. Modèle Perfect Lips Anti-Wrinkle Invisible Lip Defining Pencil, $30. A colourless liner that prevents lipstick from feathering or bleeding. It also promotes collagen growth, thanks to a potent amino acid blend.
30. Laura Mercier Lip Sheer Pencil, $25. Emollients help this pencil glide over lips, leaving a sheer, natural hue and creamy finish.
31. Chanel Rouge Allure Lipstick, $34. You’ll want to apply lipstick in public with this chic case inspired by a ballpoint pen (the lid opens with a click from the gold top).
32. YSL Golden Gloss Shimmering Lip Gloss, $33. This sexy gloss uses nourishing oils to give a little extra TLC to lips, while rice bran extract helps smooth fine lines.
33. Mark by Avon Hook-ups, $5 to $10. Custom design at an affordable price. Create your own beauty-product duo by mixing gloss with mascara or eyeshadow with concealer.
NAIL POLISH: COLOURS
34. OPI Nail Lacquer, $13. This line makes choosing a nail colour a difficult task – a bundle of new and classic shades arrives in stores and salons every few months.
NAIL POLISH: NEUTRALS
35. Essie Nail Polish, $11. This polish definitely upholds its reputation for providing the most diverse selection of ivories and pale pinks – to many a bride’s delight.
NAIL TREATMENT LINE
36. Sally Hansen, $2 to $10. No matter what your nail woe (weak or peeling nails), this line has a solution at cheap, cheerful prices.
NAIL POLISH: FAST-DRYING
37. Rimmel 60 Seconds Vinyl Shine, $4. No exaggerated claims here. It really did take 60 seconds (ok, maybe 70) for our polish to dry.
BEST DEAL: NAIL POLISH
38. N.Y.C. Nail Glossies, $3. Strengthening pro-vitamin B5 and shiny vinyl allow this bargain polish to treat even the weakest nails. Plus, you’ll love its luminescent finish.
INNOVATION OF THE YEAR
39. Prevage anti-aging formula, 50 mL/$200. Its star ingredient – idebenone – is rated as one of the best antioxidants to help protect skin, reduce sun damage and leave your skin looking smoother and brighter.
40. La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Epidermal Recovery Accelerator, 40 mL/$18. Ideal after a cosmetic procedure, such as microdermabrasion, this soothing cream boosts cell growth and minimizes healing time.
41. Olay Total Effects for Blemish-Prone Skin Daily Moisturizer, 50 mL/$25. It soothes adult acne and reduces fine lines using a blend of seven vitamins and minerals.
42.Christian Dior Duo Magique Eye Makeup Remover, 125 mL/$32. It’s composed of cornflower water and volatile oils to remove the most stubborn waterproof makeup.
43. Nivea Visage Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover, 125 mL/$9. Pro-vitamin B5 and chamomile extract gently remove makeup without leaving a greasy residue.
44. Marcelle Cleansing Cloths, 25 sheets/$11. Oil-, alcohol- and perfume-free, these premoistened cloths are ideal for travelling, and can wipe away waterproof formulas.
45. The Body Shop Aloe Gentle Facial Wash, 125 mL/$16. Aloe isn’t just for sunburns. This cleanser leaves skin feeling soothed and refreshed. Perfect for dry or sensitive skin.
46. Olay Dual Action Cleanser and Toner, 200 mL/ $10. Moisturizing glycerine won’t dry out skin. It provides a balanced base for those with combination skin.
47. B. Kamins Bio-Maple Matte Moisturizer SPF 15, 50 mL/$55. Plumping marine protein, anti-aging vitamin A and moisture-locking bio-maple compound leave oily to acne-prone skin shine-free.
48. Lancôme Bienfait Multi-Vital SPF30, 50 mL/ $53. Hydrating chestnut, sunflower and moringa tree extracts, along with antioxidants and SPF 30, make this a moisturizing cure-all.
49. Garnier Fresh Daily Hydrating Fluid SPF 15, 100 mL/$11. Its blend of fruit waters, vitamin E and grape-seed extract replenishes lost moisture to dry skin.
SPECIALIZED SKIN CARE
50. La Roche-Posay Rosaliac Skin Perfecting Anti-Redness Daily Moisturizer, 40 mL/$24. It helps boost your skin’s natural defences (it strengthens blood vessels), and it reduces redness.
51. Avène Thermal Spring Water Soothing Serum, 30 mL/$43. The silica-infused thermal water calms red, irritated skin.
52. Clarins Extra-Firming Night Cream, 50 mL/ $82. This luxurious cream plumps fine lines, while rosemary extract soothes skin.
53. Reversa Corrective Night Cream, 50 mL/$30. Now those with sensitive skin can benefit from the smoothing effects of glycolic acid, thanks to an ingredient that slowly releases it into the skin.
54. Vichy Oligo 25 Eyes Anti-Fatigue Cooling Effect Stick, 4 mL/$25. Deflates under-eye puffiness and feels wonderfully cool and refreshing.
55. StriVectin-SD Eye Cream, 38 mL/$89. A super-hydrating eye treatment from the brand that gained cult status with its original lotion for stretch marks.
56. Lancaster Revolcanic Deep Moisturizing Anti-Fatigue Eye Care, 15 mL/$46. It is perfect for dehydrated skin. Pure volcano water bathes the eye area with moisture on and below the surface.
57. Skin Doctors Overnight Zit Zapper, 10 mL/ $26. Salicylic acid exfoliates skin and unclogs pores, and witch hazel reduces redness and dries out blemishes.
58. Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil-Free Moisturizer, 50 mL/$12. Not just for acne-prone teens, this hydrating cream soothes skin while keeping it blemish-free.
59. Chanel Précision Deep Purifying Exfoliating Mousse, 75 mL/$48. The creamy mousse-like texture uses cultured pearls with jojoba microbeads to slough away dead skin cells. The anti-sebum effect works wonders for oily skin.
60. Biotherm Source Thérapie Mask, six sachets/ $44. Gives skin a moisture bath – excellent after stepping off a plane – with a soothing blend of trace minerals and thermal plankton.
61. Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Masque, 74 mL/$54. Thanks to evening primrose oil and vitamins A, C and E, this creamy mask repairs free radical damage and infuses skin with hydration.
62. Clinique CX Antioxidant Rescue Serum, 30 mL/$160. A fast-acting serum that repairs damaged skin that’s seen one too many late nights or too much sun.
63. Dermaglow Nuvage Anti-Aging Therapy, 30 mL/$120. The addition of ubiquinone, an antioxidant 50 times more powerful than vitamin E, leaves skin fresh-faced and glowing.
64. La Roche-Posay Redermic Daily Fill-In Anti-Wrinkle Firming Care, 40 mL/$45. Top wrinkle-fighting ingredients such as water-retaining hyaluronic acid and strengthening vitamin C help to plump surface wrinkles and increase collagen production.
65. NeoStrata Daytime ultra-smoothing cream SPF 15, 50 mL/$36. It combats wrinkles with 10 per cent glycolic acid – the highest available without a prescription. It also offers sun protection and smoothes lines
66. Estée Lauder Resilience Lift Extreme Ultra Firming Lotion SPF 15, 50 mL/$90. Packed with complex ingredients straight out of a science textbook, this cream increases collagen production, radiance and hydration.
67. Dior Capture Totale cream, 50 mL/$135. A quick-absorbing lotion that uses a high- performance plant extract from Madagascar to fight fine lines and brighten sallow and lacklustre skin.
68. SK-II Facial Treatment Essence, 75 mL/ $100. A bestseller in Asia, this high-priced tonic – infused with Pitera, a version of fermented sake yeast – rebalances and moisturizes skin.
69. Olay Regenerist Microdermabrasion & Peel System, $35. There’s no need to visit a dermatologist to brighten skin with this at-home, two-step kit. It helps uncover new skin cells at a fraction of the price.
70. Skin Simple skin care, $9 to $18. From eye gels to moisture creams (and everything in between), you’ll get brighter skin without breaking the bank.
INNOVATION OF THE YEAR
71. Vichy Podexine Callus Corrector, 50 mL/$15. Salicylic acid softens the dry, thick skin on your heels, while invisible anti-rubbing spheres create a friction barrier between your skin and your Manolos, which helps stop the formation of new calluses.
72. Origins Shedonism Deeply Hydrating Butter Cream, 250 mL/$49. This heavenly, cream-to-oil, Tahitian-inspired moisturizer uses shea butter, and sweet almond and coconut oils, and made us pine for our next tropical vacation.
73. Curel Natural Therapy 24-Hour Daily Moisturizing Lotion, 380 mL/$12. There are three unique scents and problem-specific varieties to choose from. Plus, it’s non-greasy, so your heels won’t slide around in pumps after moisturizing.
74. Crabtree & Evelyn Naturals Botanical Body Scrub in Lemongrass & Brown Sugar, 250 g/ $30. An indulgent combo of exfoliating lemon peel, brown sugar and super-hydrating oils that made our roughest skin baby-bottom soft.
75. Olay Body Butter Ribbons, 295 mL/$6. So creamy you won’t want to leave the shower. It cleanses, moisturizes and provides an amazing lather.
76. La Mer The Body Crème, 300 mL/$270. The original La Mer face cream, created by an aerospace physicist, has a cult following. This much-anticipated body lotion uses the same blue algae to relieve extremely dry, uncomfortable skin.
77. St. Ives Purifying Aroma Steam Body Wash, 355 mL/$6. A foamy wash that cleanses, moisturizes and leaves a lingering scent (there are four to choose from) on skin long after you’ve left the shower.
78. Revlon Expert Effect All-Around Pumice Stone, $8. An easy-to-wield pumice that fits perfectly in the palm of your hand.
INNOVATION OF THE YEAR
79. Cake Satin Sugar Hair & Body Refreshing Powder for Darker Hues, 50 g/$22. A quick way to soak up your scalp’s excess sebum. The original hair powder was ideal for blonds, but now brunettes can skip a wash or prolong their hairstyles.
80. Clairol Natural Instincts Shine Happy, $11. Traditionally a glossing treatment available only at the salon, this at-home clear glaze gives hair a four-week-long shine.
HAIR CARE LINE OF THE YEAR: DRUGSTORE
81. Pantene Pro-V, $8 to $10. No matter what your hair type or colour, Pantene has many customized formulas at affordable prices.
HAIR CARE LINE OF THE YEAR: SALON
82. Kérastase, $28 to $50. A stylist-in-a-bottle minus the hairstylist’s fee. The line ranges from luxurious after-sun care to products for an oily scalp, or dry or coloured hair.
HAIR TOOL OF THE YEAR
83. T3 Tourmaline Evolution Hair Dryer, $260. A favourite among hairstylists, it has multiple settings and temperature control that makes blow-drying a pleasure. Negative ions close the hair cuticle by drying it from the inside out, creating healthy-looking locks and less frizz.
84. Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment, 150 mL/ $70. A decadent leave-in conditioner with pure ojon palm nut oil harvested by the Tawira people of Honduras. It heals damaged, colour-treated or over-processed strands.
85. Infusium 23 Frizz Control Intense Infuser, 290 mL/$7. The best three minutes you’ll ever have in the shower. This panthenol-packed mask left our dry hair smooth, frizz-free and shiny.
86. L’Oréal Paris Natural Match, $13. When you don’t want a drastic hair-colour change, this no-ammonia kit offers natural-looking shades with undertones (ash, natural, gold or red) to suit you.
87. Dove Advanced Colour Care, 355 mL/$7. A welcome addition to an already diverse hair-care line, this formula leaves colour-treated hair shiny, not brassy.
HAIR STYLERS: MOUSSE, GEL, HAIRSPRAY AND SERUM
88. Kiehl’s Stylist Series Silk Groom Serum, 75 mL/$21. The original cream version is too rich for daily use. That’s why we love this lightweight serum that muscles out frizz and delivers shine.
89. John Frieda Frizz-Ease DownPlay Volume Reducer, 147 mL/$10. Puffy hair is never good. Let frizz-busting ingredients (silicone and green tea) calm humidity-swollen locks.
90. Frédérick Fekkai Overnight Hair Repair, 100 mL/$195. Uses wheat and rice ceramides and pro-vitamin B5 to strengthen damaged hair while you sleep. It absorbs instantly, so there’s no nasty film on your pillow.
91. Tresemmé Hair ColorThrive Shampoo & Conditioner, 591 mL/$7 each. These products sustained our hair colour three times longer than our everyday product. Follow with the coordinating cream for best results.
92. Curly Hair Solutions Silk Series, $14 to $52. Curly hair needs a lot of moisture, and this delivers with a blend of pure silk protein and lecithin to keep natural curls soft and hydrated.
93. Head & Shoulders, 420 mL/$7. A long-time staple, this reformulated version still banishes white flakes, but it’s the refreshing, non-offensive scent that had us smiling.
INNOVATION OF THE YEAR: SELF-TANNER
94. Olay Complete Touch of Sun Daily UV Facial Moisturizer SPF 15, 75 mL/$20. No more nightmares of orangey skin. Part moisturizer, part self-tanner with sun protection, we saw naturally bronzed skin after two days.
95. Chanel Précision Soleil Identité Face Self-Tanner SPF 8, 50 mL/$41. No need to layer your moisturizer and sunscreen. This is perfect for on-the-go gals. And there’s a formula for lighter and darker skin tones, too.
96. L’Oréal Paris Sublime Glow Daily Moisturizer + Natural Skin Tone Enhancer, 236 mL/ $12. Mango butter and sweet almond oil generously add creamy moisture and a hint of shimmer to enhance skin tone.
97. Kiehl’s Sun-Free Self-Tanning Formula for Face and Body, 150 mL/$31. Moisturizing enough for your face, the creamy texture delivers a streak-free application. Its light floral scent almost makes you forget you’re applying self-tanner.
INNOVATION OF THE YEAR: SUNSCREEN
98. Vichy Capital Soleil Ultra-Fluid Protection Fast Drying Formula SPF 20, 40 mL/$23. Titanium dioxide usually leaves a white cast, but this absorbed easily into our skin and left a matte finish.
99. Aveeno Active Naturals Sunblock Lotion SPF 30, 109 mL/$14. Spend more time relaxing and less time worrying your sunscreen will cause breakouts. This gentle formula protects skin; it’s non-greasy and won’t clog pores.
100. Coppertone Continuous Spray SPF 30, 177 mL/$13. Eliminating the how-do-I-reach-my-back dilemma, you don’t have to rub this sunscreen in to block harmful rays.