|| Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
Cooking time: 8 to 10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
1 small red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
4 Italian tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh oregano
or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped black olives
1/6 lb (75 g) Canadian Feta, shredded or finely diced
1/3 lb (150 g) Canadian Mozzarella, shredded or finely diced
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 salmon fillets, about 1/3 lb (150 g) each
1. Preheat barbecue to medium-high or oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Combine all stuffing ingredients and season to taste. Butterfly salmon fillets by splitting them in half, crosswise, without cutting all the way through. Place 1/4 of stuffing mixture on each fillet and close.
3. Cut 4 large squares of foil and 4 squares of parchment paper. Place parchment paper on top of foil squares. Place a stuffed fillet in centre of parchment paper, fold over and seal each papillote.
4. Grill or bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Serve warm or cold with rice and a salad.
Canadian Provolone could replace the Mozzarella or Feta cheese very nicely.
It’s easier to cook stuffed fish in papillotes on the barbecue, but you could simply grill it. Make sure stuffing is pushed deep inside salmon fillets, close, secure with toothpicks and baste with melted butter. Grill salmon fillets 5 to 7 minutes on each side over medium-high, according to thickness of fish.
Serve each salmon papillote with a lemon wedge, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving of basic recipe:
Energy: 533 calories | Protein: 30 g | Fat: 34 g | Carbohydrate: 12 g | Fibre: 1.9 g | Calcium: 381 mg | Vitamin C: 30 mg | Iron: 1.2 mg | Omega 3: 1800 mg | Excellent source of calcium, iron and vitamin C