This article has not been rated yet.
- Cooking time:
- 18 minutes
- Preparation time:
- 15 minutes
- 5 cups, about 6 servings
- 1-1/2 lbs ( 750 g) carrots, about 8 medium
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL) golden raisins
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL) canola or peanut oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp ( 2 mL) hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ( 2 mL) caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp ( 2 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp ( 2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ( 2 mL) salt
- 19 oz ( 540 mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pinch of cayenne or black pepper
- 1 lemon
Here is truly a delicious Mediterranean salad inspired by Sally and Martin Stone, authors of The Instant Bean (Bantam). Serve it warm or at room temperature with grilled chicken or fish kebabs and crusty bread.
- Cut carrots lengthwise into quarters. Then, slice crosswise 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick. Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until barely tender, from 3 to 5 minutes. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of cooking liquid, drain carrots and set aside. Meanwhile, cover raisins with hot tap water. Let stand 10 minutes to plump, then drain.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan set over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened and golden, about 10 minutes. Add raisins, reserved carrot water, red pepper flakes, caraway seeds, paprika, cumin and salt. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Add carrots and boil gently, uncovered, until liquid is reduced slightly, from 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas. Sprinkle with cayenne, if you wish. Stir until chickpeas are heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Squeeze lemon juice over top just before serving.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 5.6 g
- 7.4 g
- 28.4 g
- 1.4 mg
- 53 mg