( 1 rating )
- Cooking time:
- 8 minutes
- Preparation time:
- 20 minutes
- 2 servings
- 1/2 (250 g) pkg rice vermicelli (see Know Your Noodles, below)
- 1/2 (454 g) bag frozen peeled uncooked large shrimp
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 green onions
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 red pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each soy sauce and water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) bottled chopped garlic or 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) bottled chopped ginger or finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh coriander (optional)
Talk about cold-weather comfort ? you can’t beat a bowl of curried noodles loaded with tender pieces of chicken, plump shrimp and crunchy red pepper for a warming meal. Unlike some noodle dishes, this one isn’t too saucy. If you like it fiery, add a little hot sauce.
- Separate noodles as best you can, then soak according to package directions or in water at room temperature, 20 minutes. If noodles soften before you need them, drain and toss with a little vegetable oil.
- Meanwhile, rinse shrimp under cold running water to remove any ice crystals. Pat dry with paper towels. Cut chicken in half lengthwise, then slice into thin strips. Slice onions into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces. Slice carrot into thin julienne strips. Thinly slice pepper. In a small bowl, stir lime juice with soy, water and 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil.
- Heat remaining tbsp (15 mL) oil in a large, non-stick frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Stir-fry until lightly golden, 3 minutes. Then add shrimp, carrot, pepper, garlic and ginger. Sprinkle with curry powder and salt. Stir often until shrimp turn bright pink, 3 minutes. Add drained noodles, then pour in lime mixture. Stir often, separating noodles, until hot and noodles turn yellow, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in onions and coriander.
Know Your Noodles
Thread-like vermicelli made from rice is sold in many supermarkets and Asian grocery stores. If you can’t find it, use the same amount of spaghettini, and instead of soaking noodles, cook them according to package directions before adding to sauce.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 42 g
- 18 g
- 64 g
- 4 g
- 5 mg
- 112 mg
- 1367 mg