This article has not been rated yet.
- Preparation time:
- 10 minutes
- Grilling Time:
- 10 minutes
- Marinating Time:
- 30 minutes
- 3 to 4 servings
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) barbecue sauce or ketchup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dark sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh ginger or 2-1/2 tsp (12 mL) bottled chopped ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili-garlic sauce or 1 tsp (5 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 lamb loin chops, at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- generous pinches of salt
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh mint
Tangy hoisin sauce makes an intriguing barbecue base for lamb without diminishing the meat’s delicate flavour.
- In a bowl, stir hoisin with barbecue sauce, vinegar, oils, ginger, Worcestershire and chili-garlic sauce. Trim excess fat from lamb chops. Pour marinade into a large plastic bag. Add chops. Push meat down into marinade, then squeeze out as much air as possible from bag. Seal tightly with an elastic band as close to meat as you can. Place in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to barbecue, oil grill and heat barbecue to medium. Bring chops to room temperature if refrigerated overnight. Remove lamb from marinade and place on hot grill. Barbecue with lid closed 5 to 6 minutes, then generously brush tops of chops with remaining marinade. Discard any marinade not used. Turn over and continue to grill another 5 minutes, uncovered, for medium-rare. Remove to a platter. Sprinkle with salt, then mint and serve with extra hoisin sauce for dipping. Great with grilled vegetable kebabs and stir-fried roasted red peppers or baby potatoes.
Place oven rack 3 inches (7.5 cm) from broiler. Preheat broiler. For easy cleanup, line a shallow- sided baking sheet with foil. Place a rack on foil and arrange chops on top. Broil 7 minutes. Turn lamb. Generously brush tops of chops with marinade. Broil 3 to 4 more minutes for medium-rare meat. Serve sprinkled with salt and mint.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 19 g
- 12.3 g
- 9 g
- 0.8 g
- 1.9 mg
- 27 mg
- 365 mg