This article has not been rated yet.
- Cooking time:
- 8 minutes
- Preparation time:
- 12 minutes
- 4 servings
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) teriyaki or 1/4 cup (50 mL) oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water
- 1 egg white
- 4 to 6 boneless, fast-fry pork chops or boneless pork cutlets, about 1 lb (500 g)
- 1/4 lb (125 g) snow peas, about 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
- 1 each red and green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 green onions (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated fresh ginger or 2 tsp (10 mL) bottled minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, or 2 tsp (10 mL) bottled chopped garlic
The time-consuming part of making a stir-fry is the slicing. When it comes to cooking, you can speed up the process by using a package of sliced fresh vegetables and bottled garlic and ginger. Tender strips of pork and crisp colourful peppers flash-fried in a gingery sauce couldn’t be easier or more satisfying.
- In a small bowl, stir teriyaki with sesame oil and chili-garlic sauce. In a medium-size bowl, dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Then whisk in egg white. Trim any excess fat from pork, then thinly slice into bite-size strips. Add to egg white mixture and stir until coated. Trim snow peas. Core and seed peppers, then slice into thin strips. Cut onion in half lengthwise, then thinly slice halves. Cut carrot in half lengthwise. Thinly slice halves diagonally.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, preferably non-stick, or wok set over medium-high heat. Stir pork to scrape up and mix in cornstarch from bottom of bowl. Add to pan and stir-fry until pork is pale golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, chop green onions, if using. Add ginger, garlic, peppers, sliced onion and carrot. Continue to stir-fry until vegetables are almost tender-crisp, 2 to 3 more minutes. Add snow peas. Stir 1 minute. Pour in teriyaki mixture. Stir until sauce is reduced to a glaze, 1 minute. Sprinkle with green onions, if using, and serve over udon or rice noodles or rice.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 30.7 g
- 7.8 g
- 19.3 g
- 3.1 g
- 2.6 mg
- 67 mg
- 1563 mg