This article has not been rated yet.
- Preparation time:
- 8 minutes
- 4 servings
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and ground black pepper
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 firm ripe peaches
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded fresh basil or mint or coriander
Savour summer with this unexpected match of garden-ripe tomato slices and golden peach wedges dressed with a light-tasting vinaigrette.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil with vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Slice tomatoes into thick rounds and add to dressing. Peel peaches, if you like. Remove and discard pits, then slice into thin wedges. Then add to dressing and tomatoes.
- Shred basil, then sprinkle over tomatoes and peaches. Gently toss until evenly coated. Taste and add more salt, pepper or basil, if you like. Delicious at room temperature or chilled. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate if not serving right away. Salad will keep up to 6 hours, but will water out a little as it sits.
Peaches are in season for such a short time – here’s how you can enjoy them at their best.
* Choose yellow or cream-coloured peaches with a rosy tint. Avoid fruit that is rock-hard, overly soft, brown or wrinkly.
* Ripen firm peaches in a fruit bowl or sealed paper bag. (Peaches don’t get any sweeter after harvest, but they will become softer and juicier as they mature.)
* Ripe peaches keep well, stored in a single layer in the refrigerator, up to 5 days.
* To freeze, peel and quarter ripe peaches, then stir 4 cups (1 L) fruit with about 4 tsp (20 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix gently. Lay peaches in a single layer on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze until solid, about 30 minutes. Transfer to freezer bags, seal tightly and freeze. They will keep well at least 2 months.
Packed To Go
Toss tomatoes and peaches with dressing, but don’t add basil. Place in a plastic bag and seal. Shred basil and wrap in a damp paper towel, then overwrap with plastic. If not packing right away, refrigerate. Stir in basil just before serving.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 1.5 g
- 14 g
- 14.2 g
- 2.6 g
- 0.9 mg
- 18 mg
- 298 mg