( 26 ratings )
- Preparation time:
- 25 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 10 minutes
- Baking Time:
- 30 minutes
- 6 Servings
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk, preferably homogenized
- 10-oz (284-mL) can undiluted chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each nutmeg and salt
- Generous pinches of black pepper
- 3 poached, skinless, boneless chicken breasts, 8 poached skinless thighs or 3 cups (750 mL) leftover chopped cooked chicken
- 14-oz (398-mL) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 bulb fennel
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 397-g pkg frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly grated parmesan
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary or thyme leaves (optional)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium. When melted, gradually stir in flour. Continue stirring until bubbly and lightly golden, 2 min. Slowly pour in milk, then broth, whisking constantly to eliminate lumps. Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Continue whisking until sauce is gently boiling, smooth and slightly thick. Remove from heat.
- Slice cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces. Cut artichokes into quarters. Slice piece of fennel in half. Cut out and discard core and feathery fronds. Chop fennel. Place all in a bowl along with tomatoes, vegetables and sauce. Stir to evenly mix. Turn into an 8-in. (2-L) square baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Cut pastry in half to form 2 rectangular pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece so you have 2 10-in. (25-cm) squares. (It’s okay if edges are uneven.) Brush 1 square with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle egg-brushed pastry with parmesan and rosemary. Lay remaining square of pastry overtop. Gently press together with your fingers, then with rolling pin. Carefully lay pastry over filling. Tuck pastry edges under, then press into rim of dish.
- Using a knife tip, make 3 or 4 slits in middle of pastry to let steam escape. Lightly brush top with rest of egg. Bake in centre of preheated oven until golden and filling is bubbly, from 30 to 35 min. Let stand 15 min before serving. Sauce will thicken as it sits.
Secrets from the chef
Place chicken in a large wide pot. Fill with just enough water to cover chicken. Add a quartered onion, a bay leaf and 8 peppercorns. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce heat. Simmer, turning chicken once, until cooked through, about 12 min.
BE A PUFF BUFF
Puff pastry is made up of layers of pastry dough and chilled butter or vegetable shortening. When it’s baked, the moisture in the fat steams, which causes the pastry layers to separate and create a flaky texture. For the best texture and most rise, try not to re-fold, patch or overwork the dough.
For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.