This article has not been rated yet.
- Cooking time:
- 25 minutes
- Preparation time:
- 10 minutes
- 4 to 6 servings
- 1 bunch asparagus, preferably thin stalks, about 1/2 lb (250 g)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL) butter
- 1 cup ( 250 mL) rice, preferably arborio
- 1 cup ( 250 mL) dry white wine
- 10 oz ( 284 mL) can undiluted regular chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups ( 375 mL) water
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup ( 125 mL) prosciutto, cut into thin strips (optional)
- 3/4 cup ( 175 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ( 250 mL) fresh or frozen peas
Asparagus and lemon are a match made in heaven. Here, we’ve brought them together in an upscale creamy risotto–perfect for a springtime party, a light main or first course. Use vegetable broth in place of chicken and skip the prosciutto and you’ve got a delicious vegetarian entree.
- Wash asparagus well, then snap off tough ends. Slice spears diagonally into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces. Finely mince garlic and grate peel from lemon. Squeeze out enough lemon juice to measure 1/4 cup (50 mL). Melt butter in a large wide saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir often for 1 minute. Add rice and stir until coated with butter, about 1 more minute.
- Stir in wine, lemon juice and peel. Stir gently until rice absorbs nearly all of liquid, from 3 to 5 minutes. Then add undiluted broth and water, but add only 1/3 cup (75 mL) at a time. Stir almost continuously after each addition, until most of liquid is absorbed, before adding next amount. This is essential for a creamy texture. During this stage, prepare onions, prosciutto, if using, and cheese.
- With last addition of water, add asparagus and peas. Continue to stir often until rice is tender and asparagus and peas are cooked, from 3 to 5 minutes. Mixture should be soupy. Then stir in onions, prosciutto, if using, and Parmesan. Serve immediately as one course of a special dinner or main course of a light dinner.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 11.8 g
- 6.5 g
- 34 g
- 2.7 g
- 1.3 mg
- 200 mg
- 576 mg
For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.