( 70 ratings )
- Preparation time:
- 10 minutes
- Total time:
- 40 minutes
- 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 227 g pkg sliced button mushrooms
- 796 mL can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 450 g pkg lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 796 mL can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and thinly sliced green onions (optional)
A traditional pot of chili made just the way you like it; with beans, tomatoes and cheddar cheese.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium. Add oil, then onion and mushrooms. Cook until onion and mushrooms are soft, about 3 min. Crumble in meat and add seasonings. Using a fork, stir frequently to break meat up. Cook until no pink remains, 3 to 5 min. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in tomatoes and simmer, covered, until flavours develop, about 10 min.
- Stir in beans and cook until hot, about 2 more min. Spoon chili into bowls. Top with sour cream, cheese and green onion. Keeps well up to 3 days.
Chili powder is a mild blend of chili peppers, herbs and spices. Add cayenne or chili flakes for more punch.
“The method is different from my usual chili, which cooks for almost two hours. But I think this one is better! It smells great and tastes so fresh.”
DALE OBERMEYER, ANCASTER, ONT.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 22 g
- 33 g
- 14 g
- 12 g
- 964 mg
For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.