( 6 ratings )
- Cooking time:
- 20 minutes
- Preparation time:
- 20 minutes
- 4 to 6 servings
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) bottled chopped garlic or 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large plum tomatoes
- 1 large orange
- 10 oz (284 mL) can undiluted chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vermouth or 3 tbsp (45 mL) pernod (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried dillweed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 lbs (1 kg) fresh mussels
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh or frozen fish fillets, such as halibut, catfish or monkfish
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 green onions, sliced, or 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh dill (optional)
Easy one-bowl dinners don’t get more elegant than this! Our golden shimmery broth loaded with fresh fish and seafood is as flavourful, decadent and delicious as it looks, and a big bowlful is only 252 calories. Start with your favourite fresh green salad.
- Finely chop onion. Melt butter in a large wide saucepan set over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Stir frequently until onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop tomatoes. Finely grate peel from half an orange. Add tomatoes (including juice and seeds), orange peel, undiluted chicken broth, wine, vermouth, dillweed and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Cover and gently boil, stirring occasionally, to develop flavour, about 10 minutes.
- While broth is cooking, scrub mussels and remove beards. Discard any that are open. Cut fish into chunky pieces. After broth has cooked 10 minutes, stir in shrimp and mussels. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook until most mussels are open and shrimp are bright pink, about 4 minutes, then gently stir in fish. Cover and cook 2 to 3 more minutes. Discard any mussels that haven’t opened. Spoon into large soup bowls and sprinkle with green onion.
Your complete menu
Start with mesclun greens tossed with roasted red peppers, sliced cucumbers and bottled Japanese dressing. Serve with crusty Italian, French or garlic bread. End with a selection of cookies and squares, or scoops of sherbet with fresh raspberries.
For a fast flavour boost, in place of fresh mussels, add two 1-lb (454-g) packages frozen mussels in butter garlic sauce. (They are sold in the seafood freezer section in most supermarkets.) Then continue cooking as above.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 35.6 g
- 6.4 g
- 8.3 g
- 1.2 g
- 4.6 mg
- 104 mg
- 690 mg
For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.