( 30 ratings )
- Preparation time:
- 10 minutes
- Total time:
- 6 to 10 hours
- 6 servings
- 28 oz (796 mL) can diced or whole tomatoes
- 5.5 oz (156 mL) can tomato paste or 2/3 cup (150 mL)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced, or 1 tbsp (15 mL) bottled chopped garlic
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cinnamon, dried oregano leaves and cayenne
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) allspice (optional)
- 4 hot Italian sausages
- 1 lb (500 g) cubed stewing beef
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 19 oz (540 mL) can bean medley
A tummy-warming chili recipe is irresistible when the weather turns cold. This one kicks up the heat with Italian sausage and a winning mix of spices, including a hint of cinnamon.
- Drain tomatoes. Place in bowl of slow cooker. If using whole tomatoes, break up. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, onions and seasonings. Cut each sausage into 4 or 5 pieces. Stir in along with beef and peppers.
- Cover and cook until beef is very tender, 4 to 6 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low. Then rinse and drain beans and stir in. Cover and cook until hot, 5 to 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with dollops of sour cream, grated cheddar or chopped avocado. Chili will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh coriander or 2 coarsely chopped plum tomatoes along with beans.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 33.8 g
- 22.2 g
- 30.2 g
- 8.8 g
- 5.3 mg
- 99 mg
- 1086 mg