( 38 ratings )
- Preparation time:
- 10 minutes
- Total time:
- 35 minutes
- 12 Popovers
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 2 tsp finely chopped tarragon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- PREHEAT oven to 450F. Measure 1/2 tsp oil into each cup of a muffin pan. Swirl muffin pan, then heat in oven for 5 min.
- STIR flour together with herbs and salt in a large bowl.
- WHISK eggs in a small bowl. Whisk in milk and butter. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and whisk just until combined. (It’s okay if the batter is slightly lumpy.)
- REMOVE muffin pan from oven and immediately fill each cup with a scant 1/4 cup batter.
- BAKE in centre of oven until popovers puff up and are dark golden, 18 to 20 min. Serve warm.
Kitchen tip: For best results, stick with regular vegetable oil. We tried the recipe using vegetable-oil spray instead, but we didn’t get the results we wanted.
Gluten-Free Popovers: For a gluten- free version, simply replace the all-purpose flour with the same amount of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour. Sift flour into a large bowl before stirring in herbs and salt, and continue with recipe.
Nutrition (per Popover)
- 3 g
- 9 g
- 5 g
- 126 mg