( 1 rating )
- Cooking time:
- 60 minutes
- Preparation time:
- 25 minutes
- Marinating Time:
- 720 minutes
- Baking Time:
- 120 minutes
- 6 to 8 servings
- 2 (398- mL) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh ginger
- 6 lbs (3 kg) pork back or side ribs
- 1 whole head garlic
- 2 jalapeño or chili peppers with seeds, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) regular paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt
Jamie is the executive chef of Jamie Kennedy’s Wine Bar and Restaurant and Jamie Kennedy at the Gardiner Museum, Toronto. These ribs were his top choice in our round-up of favourite comfort foods from 10 top Canadian chefs. Recipe adapted by the Chatelaine Test Kitchen.
- At least a day before serving, in a large saucepan, stir tomato sauce with orange juice, onion, celery, vinegar, honey and ginger. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally to develop flavour, about 1 hour. Stir often near end of cooking. Working in batches, purée in a blender. Then pour into bowl or jar. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight or up to 3 days.
- Meanwhile, slice pork into four-rib portions and place in a very large bowl. Finely chop or mince garlic. Finely chop jalapeño including seeds. Place garlic and jalapeños in a small bowl. Stir in oil, paprika and salt. Rub over ribs. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- About 3 hours before serving, preheat oven to 375F (190C). Place ribs in a very large roasting pan. Pour sauce overtop. Turn to evenly coat. It’s ok if ribs overlap. Cover tightly with foil. Bake in centre of oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove and discard foil. Turn ribs, spooning sauce overtop. Continue baking, turning ribs occasionally and basting, until very tender, from 1 to 11/2 hours. Remove pan to a heatproof surface. Place ribs on a platter. Spoon sauce in pan over ribs. For the ultimate comfort dinner, serve with baked or mashed potatoes and corn.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 36.5 g
- 55.4 g
- 23.1 g
- 1592 mg