( 1 rating )
- Preparation time:
- 20 minutes
- Baking Time:
- 50 minutes
- 6 to 8 servings
- 10 medium-size apples
- 2 cups ( 500 mL) fresh or frozen sliced rhubarb (optional)
- 3/4 cup ( 75 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ( 1 mL) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ( 1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup ( 125 mL) coarsely chopped dried apricots or currents (calcium rich)
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup ( 250 mL) rolled oats, large flake, quick or minute
- 1/3 cup ( 75 mL) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ( 75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ( 75 mL) melted butter
- 1/2 cup ( 125 mL) coarsely chopped whole almonds (calcium rich)
This quintessential comfort dish is full of vitamin-rich fruit with a crunchy topping–brimming with flavorful calcium-rich toasted almonds.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Peel, core and slice apples into 1/4-inch (0.5-cm) slices. You need about 6 cups (1.5 L) if you’re using rhubarb too, or 8 cups (2 L) if using all apples. In a large bowl, stir sugar with flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in fresh and dried fruits and vanilla until evenly coated. Turn into an 8-inch (2-L) square baking dish. Gently press down fruit to level top.
- In a bowl, stir oats with sugar and flour. Add butter and work with your fingers until clumpy. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Bake in centre of preheated 350F (180C) oven until filling bubbles around edges, from 50 to 60 minutes. If top browns before apples are tender, loosely lay foil over top and continue baking. Best on baking day, serve warm.