olive oil, divided
small onion, diced (1 cup)
small carrot, peeled and diced (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 tsp
sodium-reduced vegetable broth
dry bread crumbs
egg, lightly beaten
- HEAT 1 tbsp of the oil in a medium frying pan over medium. Add onion and carrot and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 min. Stir in cumin, coriander and lentils, and cook for 1 min. Stir in broth, water and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are just tender and liquid is absorbed, 22 to 24 min. Stir in spinach during last min of cooking.
- REMOVE pan from heat and let cool for 10 min. Stir in bread crumbs and egg. (Add up to 2 tbsp water if patties are dry.)
- SAUCE: Stir yogurt, feta, garlic and dill in a small bowl. Set aside.
- HEAT remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large pan over medium. Scoop heaping 1/2-cup portions of lentil mixture and form into 5 1-in.-thick patties. Add to pan in 2 batches and cook until golden, 3 to 4 min. Flip and continue cooking, 3 min. Repeat.
- SERVE Serve burgers topped with spinach, yogurt sauce, avocado, pickled onions, radishes and feta.
- Per serving 407 calories, 25 g protein, 49 g carbs, 14 g fat, 9 g fibre, 955 mg sodium. Excellent source of vitamin A.
Kitchen Tip: Toast spices in a frying pan over medium for 1 to 2 min. It will enhance flavours.
Kitchen Tip: Find the recipe for homemade pickled red onions here.
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 49 g
Fat 14 g
Fibre 9 g
Sodium 955 mg
Excellent source of vitamin A
How to make veggie burgers