2 1/2 tsp
2 1/2 tsp
white or black pepper
unsalted butter, softened
packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp
- WHISK both flours, spices, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- BEAT butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium, scraping sides and bottom of bowl, until fluffy, about 3 min. Beat in egg. Reduce speed to medium-low and beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- TRANSFER dough to a surface and knead until smooth, about 15 times. Divide in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Flatten into discs and refrigerate until firm, 1 hr.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- ROLL dough on a lightly floured surface to a scant ¼-in. thickness. Cut out shapes using 2 ½-in. cookie cutter, rerolling scraps and refrigerating as needed. Place cookies on prepared sheet and chill for 15 min.
- LIGHTLY brush dough with water and gently press almonds to adhere. Bake until edges are browned, 14 to 15 min. Let cool for 5 min, then transfer to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
Kitchen Tip: Invest in a pastry brush with natural bristles to ensure even coating over speculaas cookies.
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 13 g
Fat 5 g
Fibre 1 g
Sodium 43 mg