We’ve got fun ideas on how decorate with doilies in your home. Grab your glue stick and scissors and get crafting!
2 of 4
Sew them together to make a delicate runner
1. Tape an outline for your runner with painters’ tape on your table or on the floor. It will give you a guideline for the general size and shape of the finished product.
2. Place 15 to 20 doilies in a pleasing pattern. Don’t worry if the edges fall outside your tape line — that’s part of the beauty. Overlap edges slightly.
3. Sew the edges together. For added stability, use fabric interface as a backing. Shortcut: use fabric glue instead of sewing.
Caring for linens
Here are five tips on keeping delicate doilies looking their best:
1. If you’re buying vintage pieces, avoid ones with obvious yellowing. It’s often impossible to remove.
2. Store linens in a breathable container (wood or wicker — never plastic!) and wrap each in acid-free tissue paper.
3. If you’re adding spray starch, apply it only just before using the linens and launder them right afterwards to prevent yellowing.
4. When ironing, place a damp towel on top of the doily.
5.Wash them in the hottest water setting and use about a quarter of the recommended amount of soap. Repeat with more soap if needed.
Caring for linen tips written by Sharalee Mushore, based on tips from Charles Macpherson Associates.