1. Pitch a canvas tent — and deck it out like a studio apartment. We’re talking a doormat, side tables, a cozy duvet on a comfortable cot and lots of pillows. A sturdy tent can be kept up throughout the summer and into the fall for comfortable outdoor dinner parties. Check out Fort McPherson for a great selection of canvas tents and tipis.
2. Create an outdoor dining room. Spread out rugs and pillows to lounge on and use old crates as tables to dine al fresco. Hang paper lanterns above your dining area (look for ones that are solar powered so you don’t need to worry about electricity).
3. Upgrade your bonfire. Roast those marshmallows in style. Sold at most hardware stores, fire bowls such as the one below, often use propane and give off major heat.
4. Make a s’mores cake. Yes, we said cake. Take the classic camping favourite up a notch with Chatelaine‘s triple-tested frozen s’mores cake recipe.
5. String plenty of fairy lights. Add a twinkle to your camp by stringing these lights around your tent, along tree branches, deck railings or your fence. These ones are solar-powered LED lights, so they turn on when the sun goes down and off when it rises.
Want to venture outside of your backyard? We’ve rounded up the coolest places to go glamping in Canada.